At Imperial, we are committed to providing a rewarding long-term career. To cultivate your growth, we provide you with assignments across various functions of the finance organization: controllers, audit, tax and treasurers; as well as across all segments of our business: upstream, downstream, chemical and corporate.
The company is focused on the development of its employees, and all campus graduates in the finance function join our Early Professional Development Program (EPDP) for the first three years of their career with the company. Learn more about our EPDP program.
We encourage employees to reach their full potential. That is why we strongly support employees on their journey to become a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA). Imperial has been a pre-approved CPA Practical Experience provider since 2016. Learn more about becoming a CPA at Imperial.
The company also offers challenging work terms in the finance function for students interested in pursuing a career in accounting. Learn more about our finance co-op program.
Search job opportunities and apply here
Virtual information session
Want to learn more about a finance or accounting career at Imperial? Check out our virtual recruitment/information session, held on September 18, 2018.
Meet our team: Lianne Delarosbil
I was attracted to Imperial because of the organization’s commitment to long-term employee development. The opportunities I was presented through the Early Professional Development Program (EPDP) allowed me to gain strong skills within the first years of my career.
Lianne Delarosbil, upstream financial analyst
Lianne’s experience at Imperial:
• Graduated from the University of Calgary in 2016 with a Bachelor of Commerce degree – major in accounting.
• Completed 12 months of co-op work terms with Imperial in controllers; two located in Calgary and one in St. John’s, Newfoundland.
• Joined Imperial full-time in 2016 and has held positions in our environmental and property solutions and upstream organizations.
• Working towards Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation; writing common final exam in September, 2018.
Meet our team: Colin Cheng
Imperial continuously rotates me into increasingly challenging assignments in order to develop a breadth of accounting and industry knowledge. I also have the opportunity to interface with senior management and sharpen my teamwork and leadership capabilities. These experiences are at the core of becoming a CPA.
Colin Cheng, external reporting analyst
Colin’s experience at Imperial:
• Graduated from the University of British Columbia in 2013 with a Bachelor of Commerce degree – majors in accounting and business technology management.
• Completed 12 months of co-op work terms with Imperial in project accounting and internal audit.
• Joined Imperial full-time in 2014 and has held positions in our upstream, chemicals, environmental and property solutions and external reporting organizations.
• Obtained Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation in 2016 while working at Imperial - specialization in finance and performance management.
Meet our team: Donna Steckler
As a large organization, there are an abundance of opportunities available for employees. Imperial has always provided me with a broad range of experiences that promote continuous learning.
Donna Steckler, upstream external reporting supervisor
Donna’s experience at Imperial:
• Graduated from the University of Saskatchewan with Honours in 2005 with a Bachelor of Commerce degree – majors in accounting & finance.
• Obtained Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation in 2008 while working at Imperial.
• Joined Imperial in 2006 in Calgary; had two roles as part of the Early Professional Development Program (EPDP).
• Relocated for 2 years to our ExxonMobil Canada St. John’s office.
• Held positions in Imperial’s controller’s, internal audit, and planning departments supporting both upstream & downstream businesses.
• Progressed into supervisor roles over the last five years, each role increasing in scope and complexity.
• Donna was featured in CPA magazine in fall 2016. Read more.
Meet our team: Danika Yau
My career with the company has involved a variety of assignments that have been both interesting and challenging. These experiences have allowed me to broaden my perspective, and I am continuously learning and further developing my skills with every role.
Danika Yau, early professional development program coordinator & upstream corporate reporting manager
Danika’s experience at Imperial:
• Graduated from the University of Calgary in 2003 with a Bachelor of Commerce degree – major in accounting.
• Obtained Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation in 2007 while working at Imperial.
• Joined Imperial in 2004 in Calgary; had three roles while in the Early Professional Development Program (EPDP).
• Held a variety of roles in the Controller’s organization at Imperial in Calgary; has also had opportunities with Exxon Mobil Corporation in Buenos Aires, Argentina and Houston, Texas.
• Took on additional role as one of the Early Professional Development Program (EPDP) coordinators in 2018.
Meet our team: Jim Burgess
The experiences and perspectives gained from global assignments have been tremendously beneficial in my career. High caliber people, interesting/challenging work and ongoing learning and development have been the key reasons for my longevity with Imperial.
Jim Burgess, assistant controller
Jim’s experience at Imperial:
• Graduated from the University of Toronto in 1997 with an Honours Bachelor of Arts degree – major in commerce.
• Joined Imperial in 1997 in Toronto; had three roles while in the Early Professional Development Program (EPDP).
• Relocated to Calgary in 2005.
• Held a variety of roles in Imperial’s controller’s, treasurer’s and internal audit departments.
• Spent seven years working outside Canada with Exxon Mobil Corporation in various global advisory and leadership roles in Houston and Dallas, Texas and Bangkok, Thailand.
• Returned to Imperial in 2016 as assistant controller.
• Holds CPA designation.
Early Professional Development Program (EPDP)
We offer a high quality structured development program for new graduates in the finance function, with program coordinators who manage the following:
- Job rotations – each campus graduate will rotate through at least 2 roles while in the program, with opportunities across the finance function and/or business segments.
- Mentorship program – a mentor is assigned to provide additional support through a new graduate’s first few years with the company.
- Quarterly EPDP learning sessions – regular learning sessions are held throughout the year on topics related to the finance function, business/operations and developing individual effectiveness competencies.
- Finance Function orientation – orientation for those in the program include learning more about the finance function and the businesses we support, finance careers at Imperial and networking opportunities with fellow new graduates and finance leadership.
Become a CPA at Imperial
Imperial has been a pre-approved CPA Practical Experience provider since 2016.
We offer a high quality structured training program for new graduates pursuing their CPA that involves:
- Job rotations through the Early Professional Development Program (EPDP) - CPA candidates are rotated through progressively complex job assignments to develop controller’s and CPA competencies that meet all practical experience requirements
- Reimbursement of eligible CPA costs and annual CPA dues
- Mentorship program through the EPDP
- Finance organization competency training courses
- Quarterly EPDP learning sessions
- Financial Management Network learning sessions
- Corporate financial analyst
- Income tax compliance analyst
- Financial reporting analyst
- Planning analyst
- Business analysis and reporting analyst
- Corporate business analysis and reporting analyst
- Project accountant
Finance co-op program
Imperial offers four and eight month challenging work terms in the finance functions for students interested in pursuing a career in accounting. Our students work in a fast-paced team environment and prepare, analyze, interpret and communicate financial results with a focus on maintaining effective business controls.
Sample work-terms include:
- Financial analyst
- Project accountant
- Internal auditor
Positions can be located in corporate offices in Calgary, AB or St. John’s NL as well refinery site locations in Strathcona, AB and Sarnia and Nanticoke, ON.
Learn more about our co-op program from one of our recent students Lana Toews.